"I can do that with a shovel..."
Thanks to Janey's dad, sanity prevailed, and we had a nice man (thanks Gary!) come over and dig us out.
After a grueling 15 minutes of work (snapping pictures and sipping coffee is _hard_!) we struck paydirt. Or at least concrete.
(notice Aaron's insightful and witty commentary: "oh, there's some concrete!" "Hey, I'll bet that's the cap." and the ever profound: "Hey! We found something!")
The top was pulled up and...oh...my...well THERE'S your problem! Instead of flooding our yard with irrigation water, we were attempting to fill a secret underground cistern.
Alas, no ancient buried Mayan treasure. On the upside, we didn't unleash a buried horde of zombies or inadvertently open a portal to the netherworld. Gotta take the good with the bad.
Naturally, I had to go down and investigate. Fortunately my wife was nowhere near to say "You're going to do WHAT?!!"
Hey look ma, I'm standing in a cesspit! Yeah, that's right. I'm standing in a...oh. Eww.
In the end we dumped some special sealing clay pellets into the bottom, dumped all the dirt back in, and topped it off with more from the field.
My daughter (who's been avidly reading Nancy Drew) finally got her mystery.
Coming soon to a bookstore near you:
- Nancy Drew and the Mysterious Vanishing Irrigation Water
- Nancy Drew and the Irrigation Pipe Mystery
- Nancy Drew and the Cesspit of DOOM
2 comments:
wow.... what a find! that would definitely start the kids in on some "mystery land" if they had gotten to play near it. :) hahah
glad things got fixed up!! :) wahoo! no more disappearing irrigation water!
You know, it is a good thing these little adventures happen to the Backers. They would be wasted on anyone else. They would consider them a 'problem' or an 'inconvenience'. The Backers? Adventure! Drama! And opportunity to use SCIENCE!!!
Post a Comment