Monday, October 27, 2008

Diapers

Well, I am seriously considering cloth diapers. And the vision that you are pondering is just not your 1970's diapers. Yes, there is still the standard old folded cloth diapers. And they are improved, no pins anymore. And they have great covers that are far better than the old rubber pants. But that just doesn't tempt me to leave the convenience of disposables.

However, once you start your education on the topic, it is a vast culture of awesome mammas!

This is what I am looking at, "Bum Genius 3.0" is expandable for many size needs:


So the diapers is used for about 6 weeks - 18 months. That makes the investment seem much more cost effective.

This one is made by "Happy Heineys" and it too will be used from 6 weeks - 18 months of growth.




Oh, the choices are amazing. Then there are all the color options - who knew?!?!

I am thankful for all the friends that have helpfully guided me through the maze of diaper culture. Here are my most favorite sites (so far):

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/store/bumGeniusV3.html

http://www.weebunzdiapers.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?pg=110#main

http://www.katieskisses.com/proddetail.php?prod=23d

Yes, I know that the sticker shock is amazing at first glance. But I can cloth diaper for about the first 18-24 months for around $300 and I can disposable diaper for about $450 the first year alone.

Aaron is not so convinced. He is still deeply traumatized and offended by diapers in the toilet that he saw in his childhood. Too gross he says. So I will have to keep disposables on hand for his sensibilities.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Janey-
I have so many friends that have switched to cloth diapers. They love them and you don't have to soak diapers in the toilet. I think most of them have a special "pail" in their bathrooms for the diapers. Most of them have noticed a decrease in diaper rash and blow outs. But they all still use disposables for night time and when they travel. I have thought about switching myself, but I'm not the one who dose the laundry at our house, and Luke is not willing do deal with diapers, so for now we will stick with disposables.

Katie