Sunday, July 25, 2010

New Starts and Enduring Days

Today I marked a milestone in Maggie's life. I dedicated her at church this morning publicly committing myself to raise her to love the Lord with all her heart, soul, mind and strength. She will have pictures of the occasion and her siblings will likely remember it most of their lives. She is blessed by a legacy of generations that love the Lord and walk with him in their daily lives. And she is blessed that those elders are covering her in prayer and will someday exhort and encourage her as she matures in her faith. What a rich heritage!

We also attended our Financial Peace University class, almost done! As we all checked in half of us 4 couples were back to step one of creating our baby emergency fund. Our teacher was discouraged by the significant drop-out rate due to summer travels, etc. But the good news was that we had a fund for our emergencies and were not whipping out credit cards to solve the crisis. This I assured our teaches was progress. If we had not had the class we would have been still cycling down the spiral of debt and justification rather than preparing and purposed planning. So we are enduring through life's normal ebb and flow. Emergencies do happen and we are wiser to stay prepared for them.

Endurance is also present as we struggle to reconcile challenging parenting days. There is so much to learn and understand and we are weary. It is difficult to know if expectations are too high, too low, too fast or slow. It hurts to see a child struggle and make repeated choices to struggle more. Does the child see they are making it harder on themselves and why don't they do differently? Some answer that it is effort to defeat rejection from others by being defiant and asserting rejection first. Sabotaging so that risk and vulnerability are extinguished.

As we talked today Aaron asked again: how am I suppose to do everything well when it requires that failure in some areas will occur? There are too many roles in life to even have success at the bare minimum of those roles. It does look futile for accomplishing anything successfully. But I recently did have a successful day, I made a list of the priorities and started at the top. I didn't make it to the end. But it turned out that those last two could wait or be dismissed. It was a successful day and all I did was what I could and I felt so accomplished! I didn't do everything that COULD be important I just did what I felt the Lord told me would be pleasing and would bring the most harvest for that day. Anyway, I am going to try to do this more regularly and see how this bring better focus and success to my days as I endure at home.

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Janey loved the last paragraph, thanks for sharing. Puts tasks into perspective and a list certainly helps you see things that were done.

pollypinks said...

Everyday can be a milestone for us, if we but trust in God. While my children are Janey's age, and un-believers, I have the unique blessing of giving them to the Lord on a daily basis, and then allowing God's grace and peace to fill my life. It's a still, quiet time for me. Aaron's comment about not succeeding in everything reminded me of when I was younger. We are not commanded to succeed in everything. We are commanded to Love God, and love our neighbors. Wonderful things can and will happen in our lives if we but give God the chance to help us, even if He says no much of the time. God's grace and peace to you Janey, on this wonderful day of Thanksgiving.