I love our kids.
(there you go...you know it's going to be something fun when he starts out the entry with "we love our kids." As in "we love our kids...but sometimes we wonder if they're actually ours..")
The other day we went into G's room. Bedtime. There was this odd...shape...covered up on the dresser.
With a towel.
Lumpy.
Large.
Very suspicious.
Of course, my daughter still not having terribly much guile it was - fortunately - covered up in plain sight.
With a curious dread, I slowly uncovered said shape.
It was a large (6-8 cup) glass measuring pitcher. 1/3 full of water. With....who knows what in the bottom.
"Ummm...what is this sweetheart?" I asked. Torn between outrage (she was obviously hiding it cuz she knew she shouldn't have it) and curious pride (given I couldn't for the life of me guess what it was, much less what it was for.)
"It's an experiment daddy."
Her almost-seven-year-old wisdom was matter-of-fact.
"We're trying to grow mold."
Ahh. Of course. And the goop in the bottom?
Flour. Beans. Misc other dry goods that had been added to the cauldron. I had this tremendous urge to cackle while reciting "bubble, bubble, toil and trouble...cauldron burn and cauldron bubble..."
(My wife always gives me wierd looks when I do things like that.)
(come to think of it, I may have done it anyway)
We had a discussion that experiments were great, awesome...but she needed to ASK for ingredients first, and have an adult help.
She agreed.
Of course, this didn't stop me from finding another "mold experiment" a week or so later. Downstairs. In the bathroom. Behind the toilet.
Fortunately this one's active ingredients were soggy TP and antibacterial hand soap.
Phew.
When relating this to my lovely wife she mused out loud "where DOES she get this?!!". I then made a critical mistake.
I laughed. And related to her my childhood experiments with gasoline and styrofoam. ("Look mom! Napalm!")
I won't attempt to describe the look on her face. Something of a cross between amazement, outrage, and unsurprised resignation. (there, I guess I did attempt to describe it.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I can just see your wife's face! What an interesting household. But ah dad, why not give G a bit of assistance and help her grow that mold? Just be glad she hasn't tried to do it in the frig. That's where I grow it best! :)
Oh she does get help. This was strictly...um...extracurricular.
Hadn't thought about the fridge...
I seem to recall a certain experiment regarding the properties of water and whether it absorbs the energy of explosives or not. Seems the apples don't fall far from the tree. :)
Cheers,
Wendy
wendyraf-
I'm not quite sure who you are, so I will deny any and all references to said incident. I paid good money to have that expunged from the homeowners insurance records...
I will allow, however, that I came by the predisposition honestly.
My grandpa Don related a story to me (after educating me on depth charges and submarine principles) on how he cracked the cast iron family wash basin when he was about 10-12...with a cherry bomb.
"Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."
wendyraf-
correction. Unless you happened to graduate from Foss High, have an older brother named Dave, and attended Southside.
How're you doing?
-aaron
Hey Aaron,
Bingo. :) I hope I didn't freak you out with some wierd stalker vibe.
Been doing pretty well. I stumbled upon a website of your family's awhile back. It was a surfing the 'net kind of day (ok, not really the whole day), so I tried to remember as many people from Foss as I could.
I'm still in Michigan, but in the Detroit area now. Married for six years (hence the "raf"), no kids yet.
Do you hear from anyone from Foss at all? It's been years since I've been to Southside. I don't think anyone there would remember me anymore anyway.
Anyway, here's my email: wminear27@yahoo.com (yeah, I still have the same email address from before getting married). This is my spam gettin' address, so if you do write, put something recognizable in the subject. :D
As for growing mold, bread or cheese are always viable options as substrates. (Did mention I have a biology degree? It's a pretty much useless piece of paper.)
A bientot,
Wendy used to be Minear now Rafalski
Post a Comment